First and Second Trimester

I want to blog about my pregnancy before I forget! So, to recap...

First Trimester: When we found out we were pregnant, I was 5 weeks along. Literally the next day, I went to the grocery store and stocked up on healthy foods--berries, all kinds of veggies, yogurt, cottage cheese, flax seeds, eggs, ground flax. Let's just say the super healthy eating lasted about 3 weeks.

At about 8 weeks, I started to get nauseous. The absolute worst was brushing my teeth in the morning. I would gag and dry heave like no other. Thankfully, I never threw up. Also at about 8 weeks, I turned into a picky eater for the first time in my life. Here's what a typical day consisted of:

Breakfast: orange juice and a half piece of toast with butter (I loved butter!!)
Snack: orange juice
Lunch: Reeses Puffs with chocolate milk (and sometimes a scoop of peanut butter on the side of the bowl!!)
Snack: orange juice and more cereal, maybe a different kind if it was a good day
Dinner: anything BLAND, such as macaroni and cheese or pizza. Absolutely no Mexican, onions, garlic, or Asian!

I think I'm making it sound worse than it really was, but needless to say, for about 4 weeks (weeks 8-12), I was not exactly eating a Dr. Oz-approved meal plan. However, I was diligent about taking my vitamins and fish oil. :) Towards the end of my first trimester, I did start craving salad. In fact, one night I ate TWO WHOLE bowls of salad at the Olive Garden. Delish.

The other big change in my first trimester was that I started to take lots and lots of naps. Around 1 in the afternoon, I would start to feel like I just took a sleeping pill (this is the best way for me to describe it). So usually I could make it one more hour, but for sure by 3, I was out. Let's just say Matt wasn't at all surprised when he came home from work at 5:30 to find me in bed! I'd sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then wake up until 8, maybe 9 if it was a weekend. :)

Second Trimester: My second trimester flew by--partly due to the fact that I felt great! I didn't need to nap anymore (but still went to bed early). I had energy to exercise, to work, to shop, to clean, to cook. I could finally eat chicken quesadillas--with onions--and spicy curry! It was nice to have my appetite back and to be able to eat anything (and everything!) My new food addictions in my second trimester were 1) mini frosted chocolate mini wheat cereal. Yum! I ate this every single morning, and 2) blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries with vanilla yogurt and homemade granola. In fact, I would have the cereal for "breakfast" and the fruit/yogurt/granola for my "second breakfast." Like my first trimester, I wanted to eat a LOT of peanut butter. In fact, I started buying the HUGE containers of crunchy skippy. I think I went through one in less than a month! Oh, and how can I forget Papa Johns? I could have eaten Papa Johns every day. Lately, I cannot get enough clementines. Thank goodness Target has had them on sale lately!

The biggest highlight of second trimester was feeling Baby kick for the first time. I'll never forget it. I was lying in bed on baby's 17-week bday and I felt a little fluttering. I woke Matt up to tell him. It was so cool. Now, I can SEE her move--it's crazy just to sit and watch my belly bounce and move. I just wonder what she's doing in there, what she's thinking, how she's feeling, if she's having fun or is bored or even knows the difference!

Baby is 28 weeks today. (Current belly shot to come.) Only 10 (or so) more weeks until we meet her!! I'm actually kind of hoping she comes late because I'm starting my maternity leave on my due date, and it would be nice to have a week or two at home before she arrives. I will probably take that back though!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP